The following is a list of events that have happened in Natalia before the events of The Green Ember series as they were recorded by the rabbits of Natalia, to the events covered in The Green Ember, Ember Falls, The Last Archer, and Ember Rising. (For ancient history, see rabbits.)
- At least one population of rabbits arrives in Natalia after diverging from the Golden Coast group. They are enslaved by the Dragons, who use them as slaves and a source of food.
- After arriving in Natalia, Whitson leads his rabbits - afterwards known as the Trekkers - inland, eventually arriving at Ayman Lake. There they found a settlement that comes to be known as Seddleton.
- Whitson marries Lillie, Lord Grant's daughter, and they have a son whom they name Lander.
- Despite Whitson's efforts to make peace with Lord Grimble - including honoring his son with a command - Grimble continues to oppose him.
- At the instigation of Fleck Blackstar, King Whitson builds a new ship, Vanguard and appoints Fleck as Captain of Blackstar Company in hopes of founding a mining settlement on the other side of Ayman Lake.
- From their home in the High Bleaks, the Lords of Prey attack Whitson's expeditionary force some weeks after their initial landing. During the ensuing Battle of Ayman Lake, Vanguard is damaged while newer ships Lillie and Natalia are destroyed. However, the lives of King Whitson and Prince Lander are saved by the efforts of the members of Blackstar Company.
- King Whitson separates his group, leaving some behind with Fleck Blackstar-appointed a lord for his bravery in the battle-and taking the rest further inland in search of a new home. Lord Blackstar founds the settlement of Kingston, later home of Kingston Citadel.
- Half a year after the Battle of Ayman Lake, the rabbits encounter the Lords of Prey again.
- Whitson's fleet-consisting of Vanguard, Burnley, and Steadfast-winters at Halfway Harbor, with Burnley scouting out the next stage of their journey under Captain Grimble's command.
- Vanguard is wrecked during travel, and Queen Lillie is abducted by the Dragons and Grimble's forces. The Stone Sword is thought by some to have been lost at this time, but it was eventually recovered.
- While searching for Queen Lillie, Prince Lander and Massie Burnson discover tracks belonging to Dragons. Whitson renames Grimble's ship Desolation in condemnation of their treachery.
- Lord and Captain Grimble break away from Whitson's group with a number of followers, and seek to found a renegade community in league with the Dragons. The attempt fails, but some come to believe that the Grimbles stole the Stone Sword and that it was lost as a result.
- Following the Dragon War, Lander has the dragon hatchery converted into the dragon tomb. A vault is constructed as part of this process, wherein are hidden various treasures such as the Stone Sword.
- First Warren is founded, including a dam that creates Lake Merle around Forbidden Island. By Lander's decree, the dragons are treated as a matter of legend.
- In uncertain order:
- Rabbits taken captive by the Lords of Prey become citizens of the slave city of Akolan. One of them, taken from the deck of Vanguard during the Battle of Ayman Lake, digs a large cavern as a hiding place. He becomes the first Tunneler, and he founds a resistance against the Lords of Prey that eventually becomes known as the Seventh District.
- Whitson's daughter Lucianne is born, and grows up to marry Lord Blackstar II.
- Over one hundred years after the time of Whitson, King Walter Good becomes ruler of Natalia, succeeding his cruel father.
From King Walter Good to King Jupiter
- King Good sets about rebuilding the kingdom of his ancestors, reduced by the reign of his father. He dubs his domain the Thirty Warrens, though at the time of his crowning it consists only of twelve.
- King Good resumes the tradition of passing the Green Ember down to his chosen heir. Rather than granting it to his eldest son Bleston, however, King Good appoints his third son Jupiter to rule after him.
- Bleston, furious at being passed over for the kingship, plots rebellion against Jupiter. He eventually departs First Warren with a number of followers, though he maintains a link with the capital. Bleston eventually discovers the lost realm of Terralain and becomes its lord.
- After King Good is killed by hawks, Jupiter ascends to the throne and expands the Thirty Warrens to include over a hundred. He takes part in a series of nine wars, including the Red Valley War, during which he fights and kills the wolf king Garlacks. Redeye Garlackson swears to wipe out the line of Jupiter in memory of his father.
- Troubled by the constant conflict, Jupiter sets out to achieve peace through diplomacy rather than war. He establishes the Council of Seven Ambassadors, with Garten Longtreader as the leader and his brothers Whittle and Wilfred Longtreader as his lieutenants.
- Through the efforts of Jupiter and his ambassadors, peace is made with various groups, including rival warrens of rabbits and the rogue clans of Tarvan Bluff. He also forges other alliances, while driving the Lords of Prey out of Natalia and back into the High Bleaks.
- Jupiter marries Lady Glen and has ten sons-including Winslow, Whitbie, and Smalden-and an unspecified number of daughters, the youngest being Emma. As his father did before him, Jupiter chooses not to pass the Green Ember on to his eldest son, but instead appoints Smalden, also known as Smalls, to be his heir.
- Lord Captains Fesslehorn, Harlan Seer, and Stam disappear after leaving on an expedition.
- Lord Rake and King Jupiter's army are sent on a pointless errand. The King's Arm, led by Lord Captain Helmer, is similarly diverted but returns.
- Helmer's unit attempts to thwart a scheme of Garten Longtreader's, but Helmer is captured and his bucks killed. Wilfred Longtreader is also captured, and both he and Helmer are forced to watch Garten's plans unfold.
- Garten betrays King Jupiter, luring him into an ambush that leads to his capture by Morbin Blackhawk, leader of the Lords of Prey. Though Morbin's intent was to hold Jupiter as a hostage, the king's defiant words cause an enraged Morbin to kill him. The site of the murder is afterwards known as Jupiter's Crossing.
- First Warren is occupied by Morbin's minions following the Afterterrors, a campaign of attacks by wolves and birds of prey. Jupiter's oldest son, Winslow, is appointed governor of the city after swearing allegiance to his father's killers.
- Lord Captains Gome, Perkin One-Eye, and Pickwand are killed, along with most of Jupiter's faithful lords. The survivors go into hiding, establishing the secret citadels.
War for All Natalia
- See also: War for All Natalia
- Heather and Picket's family are attacked by wolves. They flee to Cloud Mountain.
- Cloud Mountain is attacked by wolves as a diversion while Jupiter's Heir, Smalden Joveson, goes to Jupiter's Crossing after being told by Bleston's son, Kylen, that his long-lost mother was there.
- Smalls is saved at Jupiter's Crossing by Picket, who kills Redeye Garlackson.
- Heather, Picket, Smalls and Emma are relocated to Halfwind Citadel.
- The Fowlers unit is formed.
- Smalls and an escort leave Halfwind to attend a Citadel Congress at Kingston.
- Halfwind is attacked by wolves, but is saved by the unexpected arrival of the Terralain army under Bleston and Kylen.
- Smalls appears to die during a failed attempt to liberate a slave camp in the Shade Hills.
- Emma is revealed to be Smalls' sister, the secret heir.
- The Battle of Rockback Valley occurs, with Bleston attempting to capture Emma and turn her over to Morbin Blackhawk. Bleston and his agent Perkinson are both killed by Picket.
- Heather is carried to Akolan. Picket and Helmer break into First Warren.
- Heather helps in a rebellion in Akolan. She is caught by Garten Longtreader and is thrown into a deep pit on Forbidden Island.
- The Battle for First Warren is begun and concludes in the death of Falcowit of the Six and the overthrowing of Winslow Joveson.
- Bleston's younger son, Naylen, brings the remainder of the Terralain army to join the forces under his brother Kylen and Tameth Seer.
- Harbone Citadel is attacked by a force of Preylords and Garten Longtreader's personal guard. The Wild Wolf Pack also joins in the assault.
- After a failed peace negotiation at the Terralain camp, the Fowlers come to Harbone's aid. With one exception, the wolves and Wrongtreaders are destroyed.
- The Akolan rebels make a final outreach to the city's other inhabitants before escaping.
- The Terralains march on First Warren. At the same time, the Lords of Prey and their wolf allies advance towards the city.
- Tameth Seer is exposed as a traitor and killed. The Siege of First Warren begins.
- Picket Longtreader kills the wolf king Farlock. The Terralain army joins the Cause.
- Falcowitson is killed in an explosion. Two more of the Six are killed by a special arrow fired by Jo Shanks.
- Heather finds Smalls in the tomb, and both are saved from severe injuries by a tonic infused with Firstflower. They discover that the dragons have awakened and are preparing to invade Natalia.
- Recovering the Stone Sword and several other artifacts, Heather and Smalls kill the dragon prince. They then collapse the tomb in order to prevent the other dragons' escape.
- Helmer is killed setting off an explosion to destroy First Warren's dam. The blast kills two more of the Six and several other Preylords, while the ensuing flood wipes out many wolves.
- Morbin leads the last wave of Preylords, accompanied by Longtreader Command, against First Warren. The Akolan escape ships rescue Heather and Smalls before following a wolf fleet into First Warren.
- Garten Longtreader dies after being defeated by Whittle Longtreader. Akolan's escapees and the city's defenders wipe out the last wolves and Wrongtreaders.
- After leading the Royal Fowlers Auxiliary into battle, Picket joins Smalls in confronting Morbin, the last enemy left alive. Picket is gravely injured, but his efforts enable Smalls to kill Morbin.
- The Stone Sword is broken in fulfillment of a prophecy made by Fay.
- Smalls reassumes his place as heir to the throne of Natalia. He leads the reconstruction effort from the partly destroyed First Warren.
- After some weeks, Picket emerges from a coma. He is later guest of honor at the first Feast of the Mending.
- Firstflower seeds brought to Smalls by the Pilgrim are planted and grow.
- Newcity is established in the Great Wood.
- Smalls is crowned king and marries Heather.
- The rabbits begin exploration and colonization efforts.
- Due to the effects of Firstflower, disease is eliminated in Natalia.
- Whittle publishes The Rise and Fall of King Jupiter the Great. Heather begins work on The Fall and Rise of King Smalden Joveson.
- The name "Natalia" is of Latin origin and is a form of the name "Natalie," which is of English origin and means "Christmas day."
Take a look at our gallery for Natalia by clicking here.